Who We Are
PollutionWatch is your source for information about pollutants that facilities release and transfer in your community, including toxic pollutants (such as benzene, lead, dioxins and furans), Criteria Air Contaminants (pollutants that cause smog and acid rain) and greenhouse gases (air pollutants that lead to global climate change).
On this web site, you can:
- Find facilities in your neighbourhood using the new PollutionWatch Mapping site
- Search for facilities in your area using your postal code.
- Search for facilities releasing Criteria Air Contaminants, pollutants that cause smog and acid rain.
- Search for facilities releasing greenhouse gases , air pollutants that cause global climate change
- Obtain information about the health effects associated with specific pollutants and groups of
and find out if they are tracked by the federal government as part of the National Pollutant Release Inventory (NPRI).
- Take action by emailing directly facilities or the federal Minister of Environment to voice your concerns.
- Visit our Pollution Rankings page to get quick lists of the top facilities releasing and transferring toxic pollutants, Criteria Air Contaminants or releases of greenhouse gases in Canada.
- Create your own ranked or alphabetical lists of facilities, companies, sectors, and provinces by a range of information on our Who is Polluting? page.
- Download lesson plans and order posters for junior and senior high school.
- Analyze trends in releases and transfers of toxic pollutants from 1995 to 2005.
- Find detailed definitions and explanations about the NPRI and pollution regulatory information from a provincial to international level.
Please note that PollutionWatch classifies releases, disposals and transfers differently than Environment Canada's NPRI program.
NPRI has a narrower definition of “release”.
NPRI excludes underground injection and land releases, such as landfill, in its definition of a “release”. These types of releases are included in the PollutionWatch definition of “release”. These varying methods of presentation will yield different perspectives on the data. Please see Understanding the Data for a more detailed discussion
Ownership and Disclaimer
PollutionWatch is a collaborative project of Environmental Defence and the Canadian Environmental Law Association.
The data presented on the PollutionWatch site have been compiled by Environment Canada from industry sources, available at www.ec.gc.ca/pdb/npri and http://www.ghgreporting.gc.ca.
Permission is granted to the public to reproduce and disseminate PollutionWatch materials, in part or in whole, free of charge, in any format or medium and without requiring specific permission.
The data used on this web site are based on the federal National Pollutant Release Inventory (NPRI) and the Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reporting Program , publicly available databases administered by Environment Canada.
The material on the PollutionWatch web site and national report is developed by the Canadian Environmental Law Association and Environmental Defence and their consultants on an “as is” basis. PollutionWatch makes no warranties or representation of any kind with respect to its contents and disclaims all such representations and warranties. It is hereby acknowledged that the use of the material is done at the viewer's own discretion and risk. PollutionWatch will not be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with its use. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income, or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Neither PollutionWatch nor any other person acting on its behalf makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal responsibility for the accuracy of any information or accepts liability from the use or damages from the use.
The views and recommendations presented on PollutionWatch are those of the Canadian Environmental Law Association and Environmental Defence and not those of its funders.
PollutionWatch is made possible by the generous support of the The Joyce Foundation of Chicago, the EJLB Foundation, the Salamander Foundation and AVEDA. PollutionWatch is generously hosted by CoreFusion. Geocoder.ca supports PollutionWatch by providing real-time geocoding service.
The information, interpretation and presentation of the material on this web site are those presented by the project partners and do not necessarily represent those of the project funders, their trustees or officers. Hence, the funders, their trustees or officers assume no liability for incorrect, incomplete or missing information from this site.
317 Adelaide Street West, Suite 705
Toronto , ON M5V 1P9
T: (416) 323-9521
F: (416) 323-9301
Canadian Environmental Law Association
130 Spadina Avenue, Suite 301
Toronto , ON M5V 2L4
Fe de Leon
Richard Q. Yu